Wednesday, November 24, 2010

This piece was for an illustration competition Selvedge magazine hosted, whereupon the artist was to document a place with textile history in the format of a travel journal. I was inspired at my family reunion, to sketch this christening gown my cousin was baptized in, after it was discovered in a mason jar at her great-grandmother's house, smelling eerily of buttermilk. It was rolled up with a note, describing its history, and 4 other jars, containing various garments with apparent historical significance to Lorraine. I just love the fact that she chose to preserve not fruit, but clothes, in jars!

I'm not really sure I fully realized the prompt but it was fun to dabble in a sketching project, and actually get it finished in time to hand in. I haven't heard anything back from them in a couple of months so I think it's safe to assume I didn't win and can now post it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment