Thursday, March 28, 2013

 This is the kind of stuff I LIVE for. I mean, this is my geek factor here!

 How gorgeous is this??

My grandma never stops finding the antique treats in the recesses of her house. This log cabin scrap came in a package last month and I can't get over how much I love it. And the best part, I never have to compete with my cousins for these heirlooms, haha!

It's obviously made with scrap clothing, the 'hearths' are wool, and the critter chew marks make it all the more interesting. The basting stitches must've been put in to keep the silky fabrics in place before the squares were put together, the idea being that they would be removed afterwards. The fact that they haven't just adds another element of texture and beauty to this piece.

It's almost completely hand-sewn, the individual squares are, and it looks like someone came later with a machine and finished compiling them into the bigger piece you see here.

Now this peaks my interest...who cut this off? Why? And how much more was there that has now been lost?

Of course, my grandmother never remembers anything about these treasures she finds. She does know that it came from Tiptonville, TN, her hometown. A small little town near the Mississippi River, it's greatest attraction being Reelfoot Lake, a cypress knee-riddled beauty. We used to drive out there and visit my great-grandmother, where my memories stop short after the pickled beets and the jar full of marbles.

Oh well, I guess I'll be left to wonder! 


No comments:

Post a Comment