Saturday, March 27, 2010

How to Make a Mordor Cake

My new favorite 4th cousin, Julie, inspired me to make a cake for Than for his birthday earlier this month. When she pulled out the bundt pan I was to use, the only thing I could think of was the flaming towers of Mordor, from the Lord of the Rings. Of course, I was reading the book at the time, so that helped my imagery. I went for it and had a blast drizzling hot chocolate lava and piling on menacing rocks of sprinkles. I crunched the sprinkles further to make them look more like rubble.

I burnt the edges of the chocolate chip cake but I thought Sauron would be okay with that.

Even an authentic Shelob the spider wedged into her cave.

I found some great black and red candles at the local cake shop, with a glow stick in the middle of the Great Eye. Not surprisingly, the paper evil eye started burning with all 25 candles lit but we went with it to effect!

It was a great success and tasted amazing, especially with a dangerous dose of vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment